I’m doing this mainly for myself so I can replicate what I did in the future. It’s pretty straight forward but a simple misconfiguration made it so the internet couldn’t see my server.
About my network:
- Prior to moving to DSL, I had a cable modem that passed it’s IP address along to my Router.
- My internal network was in the 192.168.1.x address range.
- I had a combination of static and dynamic addresses. My servers were all static and I had certain ports accessible from the outside.
- For the initial setup, I connected my computer directly to the modem and went through their automatic setup mess.
- Log into the modem (192.168.1.254), and set it so PPPoE authentication is not done at the modem. – Doing this will make you lose access to the modem configuration page.
- Set the Router to do PPPoE authentication using the AT&T username and password.